When I was a kid (sadly, I’m old enough to use that phrase), Saturday mornings meant a big bowl of Cookie Crisp cereal while watching “Jem & the Holograms,” “Pee Wee’s Playhouse” and “Looney Tunes” on the console television, followed by door-to-door rounds through the neighborhood on my pink Huffy, excitedly pleading, “Can you come out and play?!”
I’ve long since outgrown my pink Huffy, and Aiken is a little too large to go door-to-door, but consider this your invitation to “come out and play” at the SPCA!
You can start your play time tomorrow night at Yappy Hour. Bring your two- and four-legged friends to our patio from 6 to 9 p.m. for chili served over Fritos, “Mellow Mutt” drink specials at the cash bar, live music by Drew & Josh, an open dog park and as always, lots of fun. Admission is free and we have plenty of parking.
On Saturday, bring your party dog(s) back to the SPCA for a good cleaning. Our Dog Wash is open from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Wash prices start at just $20 and 100 percent of the proceeds help us feed, treat, socialize and shelter the adoptable pets in our care.
After this month, we’ll have one more Yappy Hour and one more Dog Wash: Sept. 2 brings Aiken favorite Bogie back to the SPCA patio, and Sept. 12 we’ll hold our last Dog Wash of the year.
Later on Saturday at 7 p.m., it’s time for a “Play to Spay”! Paladin Productions and Norm Foster bring us another hilarious comedy: “The Love List” directed by Daniel See and starring Garrett Maroney, Lori Comshaw and John Fowler. Unfortunately, if you don't already have a ticket to this sold out show, you're out of luck this time. Stay tuned to our calendar and our Facebook page for future play announcements.
And it’s not too early to mark your calendars for our favorite play date of the year: Barkaritaville! Our third annual “Barkaritaville & the Twilight Walk for Animals” will be held Saturday, Oct. 10, from 6 to 10 p.m. There are several fun ways to participate and you can access them all at LetLoveLive.org/barkaritaville:
- Purchase a ticket to enjoy all the yummy food, beverages and live music by Lo Down Brown. $25 in advance or $30 at the door.
- Register a FREE themed booth to showcase your culinary and drink mixing skills! Top prize is a trip to Belize!
- Be part of the FUNdraiser in the Twilight Walk for Animals. Join a team, start your own or go it alone to gather sponsors and raise funds for the SPCA. Start early and aim high! Prizes include T-shirts, gift cards, a pet photo session, a mountain vacation or a $500 Visa gift card! Then join us at sunset on Oct. 10 to walk the illuminated path and celebrate your hard work.
- Creative kids can register for the Chalk Art competition and decorate our patio with fun works of art. Registration is $10, and prizes will be awarded in three age groups.
Barkaritaville is a dog-friendly event, and your furry friend gets in free with your paid admission. Visit LetLoveLive.org/barkaritaville for more information and links to participate in everything listed above.
More ideas for play time:
• Join our dog park and play the day away with your best friend. Membership is $40 per year, per dog. There is plenty of space to run, covered benches and even a dog pool with a fountain to cool off in the summer heat.
• Schedule some dog training with our director of enrichment and training to make play time with your pooch even more fun. Ann Kinney can show you ways to help your dog walk better on a leash, learn basic, polite behaviors and provide you with enrichment ideas to meet your dog’s mental stimulation needs. Call 803-648-6863 to schedule a session.
• Volunteer! Sign up on our website to become a registered SPCA volunteer. You’ll get a fun T-shirt, an official volunteer name badge, orientation, training and be able to participate in many different areas including dog walking and enrichment, cat socialization, special events, off-site adoptions or you can help in our thrift shops.
The SPCA Albrecht Center really is a fun, happy place to be. Come see for yourself. No need to knock; just walk right in – we’re always ready to come out and play!